Saturday, October 20, 2007

This feels familiar!

Back in 1976, I graduated from high school and went to work in an international bank on Park Avenue, whose customers were other banks and corporations around the world. I worked in the Communications Department, and wound up as a teletype operator. I remember being able to dial up people in the Chicago or Los Angeles offices and "chatting" with them by typing back and forth. I thought it was the coolest thing. I even got invited to visit some of the people in Chicago, and took my motorcycle out there for a visit. After a couple of years, the bank started replacing our teletype machines with computers, and I thought that was even cooler. We could still dial people up around the world, but we could also type and save things and go back to them later. I guess in that sense, I've been blogging for 30 years!

3 comments:

Christine Southard said...

It is exciting to watch how technology has evolved over time. I wonder what the technology will be like in the next 30 years. How will our students be connected to the world?

Karen Kliegman said...

Thank goodness for Herricks that you got your hands on that teletype machine!

FrankDC said...

That's funny Karen, thanks! And just the other day, I managed to understand some techie problem through my recollection of using those old punchtapes on those first computers!